[at-l] VERSUS was Cell phones VS Nature

Weary writes:  However, I have no hope of convincing non-believers of the damage cell phones do to the experience of hikers who carry them -- and to others on the trails as well, for that matter. The trail is a less wild place now that a significant number of hikers keep cell phones in their packs. For everyone the sense of freedom from every day life is diminished a bit because of the common knowledge these days that instant communication with the outside world is available just by asking most any group of hikers.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - cut along dotted line and create your own personal trail experience- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Weary,

WATCHES do more damage than cell phones.  I hate watches.  I don't wear one.  I'm constantly late for appointments.  But then, in the grand scheme of life, does it really matter?  Only if it's a wedding or a post office which has your drop box.  Most of the rest of the time, time is not 'of the essence' it is a BOTHER.  Why must I be at work at nine AM and leave at seven PM?  I would rather come in when I want, complete my day's assignment and go home when I'm finished.  But NO.  I am penalized and can get FIRED for working over forty hours a week.   And I'm not paid by the hour; I'm salaried!

Having a cell phone in a pack does not mean "instant" communication.  There are places with no cell tower coverage.  There are also places where the educated and wise use of a cell phone has been beneficial.

I just don't see the real importance of this discussion in the grand scheme of Thru Hiking, Section Hiking, or going out for a weekend or a day hike.  If someone wants to carry a cell phone or an I-pod or a radio or a bicycle or a cat or a stuffed animal (do not make fun) or a blankie or a guitar or a harmonica or a tin-whistle or a hardback book or a seven and a half pound backpack or a . . . . whoa.  SEVEN POUND BACKpack?  Okay, THERE we can open up discussion as to why hiking the AT is not an expedition and snow-shoes are indeed optional, except in the winter, maybe.  But send back the cross-country skis, please.

Is there so much going on in the world that is so hard to assimilate that we are discussing cell phones VERSUS Nature?   Cell phones are not against Nature.  Cell phones are.  They are, that's all, they just are.  They are a fact of life today and weren't fifteen years ago.  (I've been watching old movies and it's so funny to see the police have to "radio in" to headquarters from their automobile.  I'm yelling at them, use your cellphone, use your cellphone.  To no avail.)

What is against Nature?  I can think of a hundred things as can you.  It's happening in the Middle East.  "THAT" is against Nature.  Killing off the last Dodo Bird was against Nature.  Killing Manatees is against Nature.   Drowning dolphins in fishing nets is against Nature.   I'll even concede that it appears a lot of people who are attempting to run this Country are against Nature.  But cellphones are not against Nature.  People who misuse and abuse cellphones are against Nature.  People who misuse and abuse guns and rifles and knives and bombs attached to their bodies are against Nature.  (Although I cannot imagine a use for a bomb attached to any body's body as being a good thing.)

So let's be honest with each other.  We've got around 12 differing viewpoints on cellphones.  Maybe only 9, but who's counting?  And tomorrow morning out on the Trail, some poor schmuck is Thru Hiking with or without a cellphone.  And most of us would trade places with that hiker faster than  __________ a) a speeding bullet; b) a speeding train; c) a speeding ticket; d) speed-dialing on a cellphone.  <grinnin' yet?>

So, Weary, what are your feelings about guns, dogs, men in 'skirts,' gps, blue-blazing, speed-hiking, hoods-in-the-woods, cowboy boots, hiking poles, "pink blazing," going stoveless, or hiking in sandals on the AT?

Just thought I'd ask,
(You don't have to respond.  I know you appreciate me for inquiring, though.)
Coosa
http://auntiecoosa.blogspot.com