[at-l] The Other MacKaye Vision

Greetings,

I have little doubt that MacKaye was influenced by the conservation movement, and legislation, that predated his article.  When I said that most eastern national forests intersecting the AT were either created or had vast tracts purchased before the article, that's what I meant, not that they were concurrent with his article.

You say: "the Trail Community seems most interested in skeptically attacking the concept of an organized AT wilderness purpose rather than appreciating it.  It's tragic that the Trail's inspirational figure is best known for his failure rather than what he managed to achieve. Travesty in my mind."  Far be it from me to speak for "the trail community", but what I sense in this forum is a clear appreciation for Mackaye and Avery and what they envisioned and achieved.  I see, in this forum, an appreciation for those who have worked so hard and long to achieve the current level of trail protection, yet there's a clear hunger to see further protection of threatened areas.  My view is that MacKaye is and always will be remembered as the visionary with the idea of the AT, and that Avery is remembered as a hardworking achiever.

When this forum is badgered and battered with the notion that MacKaye was more than an individual with an idea, that he was feared by politicians because of his radical ideas, that there was some conspiracy to head this off, and that all other eastern conservation evolved from his 1921 article, THAT'S when folks get a bellyfull, call BS and are in turn branded as heretics.

Take Care,

Tim