[at-l] hiking the a t

At 07:32 PM 7/26/2005 -0400, TJ wrote:

>In a message dated 7/26/2005 5:57:57 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
>alan_b28@yahoo.com writes:
>
>4 i have a four seasons tent and a four seasons sleeping bag total combined
>weight is 7lbs should i be packing these items or should i consider going
>for
>something lighter any suggestions would be appreciated.

[TJ:]

>4. Seldom is there a need for four season gear while hiking on the AT. Most
>hikers use lighter gear.

I agree that 4-season gear isn't needed on the AT,
except... in winter, maybe.

However, 7 lbs combined weight for tent PLUS
sleeping bag is only a bit over the norm, unless
one is going ultralight.

You certainly won't see many tents of any kind
under 3 lbs.  And a +15F rated down bag will be
another 3 lbs or so.

I suppose the ultralight approach would skip one
or both of these items, eg replacing the tent
with a tarp and/or hammock, or replacing the
bag by just the liner.  Me, I wouldn't hike long-
distance w/o a tent.

During the dead of summer I hike with a
summer-weight down bag that weighs about 2 lbs.

rafe b
aka terrapin