[at-l] Re: Symbols, was The Other MacKaye Vision

At 04:40 PM 7/26/2005 -0400, Bror8588@aol.com wrote:
>Where did the symbol originate? Did the Democrats choose their  symbol?  If
>so, Why?  Perhaps they understood what their party was all  about.

Neither party chose the symbol predominantly associated with it. They
originated with political cartoons and became associated in the minds of
most people over time. Neither party has ever formally adopted the symbol.
It just goes to show what a good cartoonist can accomplish. And people
wonder why I read the funnies first. HA! What we need is a cartoonist who
will draw humorous cartoons advocating preservation of the AT.

>And I really do not know what this has to do with MacKaye.

Um, preserving wilderness rather than exploiting it maybe?

Jeesh. Can we get back to talking about hiking please?