[at-l] The Other MacKaye Vision

At 06:12 AM 7/22/2005 -0700, TXIIS wrote:

>As the catalyst for what was to become the Appalachian
>Trail, the essay rightly deserves historical recognition.
>However, the main premises on which his pitch for it was
>based are morally repugnant and shockingly naive.

Whew.  What exactly is it that you find "morally
repugnant", Tex?  That someone would actually
take steps to address the basic issues of work
and alienation in a capitalist setting?  Do you
suppose these issues weren't and aren't real?

To me, certain things are self-evident.  If MacKaye's
vision was a delusion, the Trail would not have
endured these eighty or so years.

Superhighways most certainly were not part of
MacKaye's vision.  For that, the pioneer was a
fellow named Robert Moses.

<http://www.rosshorwood.com/RailSiteLinksFiles/RobertMoses.html>

rafe b
aka terrapin