[at-l] How about this book?

Lighten Up! : A Complete Handbook for Light and Ultralight Backpacking (Falcon Guide)   by Don Ladigin, Mike Clelland (Illustrator)  (Mike is a former MAD Magazine illustrator)

I found this book at Borders (I only skimmed it, as I bought it and gave it away), it seems to have a lot of common sense that is often overlooked in the adrineline rush of planning to backpack.  And the illustrations are humorous.

Coosa
["Man should not go where he will be tempted."  Sir Thomas More in A Man for All Seasons]