[at-l] Funny story about backpacking through Europe

Thinking of that trip reminded me of a humerous (embarassing) story about my trek. This took place before I knew anything about packing light. I had my backpack (a monstrosity that, with many zippers and hidden flaps, could turn into a pretty good looking suitcase), my two (yes two) dufflebags, and another small shoulder bag for books I brought with me. I met a Canadian who took pity on me and helped me carry the bags one day. Standing on a sidewalk of a four lane street, waiting for traffic to subside, I saw an opening and started to go across. Suddenly, the traffic seemed more daunting. I, being from the great land of Boston, ran for the far side. He, being from the great land of Canada, cowered and ran back to original sidewalk. One of the dufflebags however was in both of our hands, a handle in his and a handle in mine. The dufflebag did not go to my side, nor did it go to his side. It literally exploded, sending the contents spewing straight up and out onto the street.
 Thankfully the traffic all stopped, and oddly enough nobody honked. They waited patiently and we scooped up all the contents, except for one roll of film which is probably still on that street, and carried the mangled bag and goods to the side I originally headed for. Alas, the poor bag had to be put out of its misery and received a fine burial 20 minutes later in the shopping center where I purchased its replacement. Moral: pack light and don't trust Canadians.

         Robert (just kidding about the Canadians)