[at-l] PCT DVD offering

Hi -

For those hearing about this for the first time, I made a PCT DVD about the
'04 season as a gift to the class of '04. Copies have circulated their way
to much of the PCT community in general, so now I'd like to offer it to
those on at-l who might be interested in having a copy. Just send me a
mailing address. I'm about to make a bunch more copies, and hopefully, after
setting some aside for the ALDHA west and east Gatherings, there will be
enough left for other requests. If I can't get you a copy right away with
this next batch, eventually you'll get one, possibly as late as Christmas
when I'll have good burner access again after this week. But send your
requests now.

Here's the info that comes with the DVD:

Pacific Crest Trail ? 2004
Total Running Time: 72 minutes

1. Southern CA  (19:00)      DVD?ROM:
2. Central CA  (17:08)          ? Extended Compilation
3. Northern CA  (7:37)           (High Resolution  JPEG Images)
4. Oregon  (9:00)
5. Washington  (13:40)
6. Closing Credits (2:32)
7. The Kickoff  (2:30)
8. The Exit  (1:03)

This presentation was compiled with the primary purpose of representing as
much as possible the 2004 northbound long-distance hiking season. The
photography comes from the contributions of about 40 different people who
hiked either part or all of the trail in 2004.  The DVD-ROM portion contains
an extended 2004 south to north compilation, with about 1,470 photos, or
nearly double the amount contained in the main program. It is best viewed as
a slide show format arranged by title on the computer.

My intention is for this disk to be as accessible as possible to anyone who
desires to see it, so duplication and sharing with others is encouraged.
However, for a variety of reasons, please do not use the material for any
commercial oriented purpose without the consent of the originating
photographer. This is a private-use creation and I have no intention of
selling it. I can be contacted at weathercarrot at hotmail.com if you'd like
to be in touch with any of the contributors, or if you have any general
feedback.

Editing was done with Apple's iMovie, and burned onto disk with iDVD.
Panning and zooming was done through Photo to Movie by LQ Graphics. I used
Audacity, a free audio editing program, to edit the soundtrack, and
Photoshop to create the credits. I would suggest watching with stereo sound,
if available. The disk may have trouble playing in some DVD players,
especially older models. If so, try it in another player.

Thanks to everyone who helped make this project happen. Enjoy!

- Weathercarrot

Here's some additional things I should mention that might be helpful to know
when you receive your copy:

1 - There is more after the closing credits, so don't press stop
prematurely. Let it run all the way through until the menu pops up again.

2 - For some odd reason, the "Chapters" button is highlighted when you first
put the disk in, instead of "Play Movie". To move up, you actually have to
press the horizontal scroll buttons instead of the up-down buttons. Not sure
why that happened that way....

3 - I highly suggest good stereo sound when you watch this, as well as in a
dark or low-light room.

4 - large screen TV is better for this than a computer.

So there you have it. If you're interested, don't be shy. Take care,

wc