[at-l] Hikin in the Heat

Here in Florida where it hits the 90's most days between mid-May and mid-October, I have my own heat rules.  No backpacking when the temperature is going to be in the 90's (I've had heat exhaustion, near heatstroke, once and totally stopped sweating on another hike--that's enough).  I do, however, still hike.  I just do little, slow hikes (1 hour or less) after work.  Right now, I don't even go out until 7:30 p.m.  Okay, it's not big miles, but it's peaceful and you still come across some interesting things--a coral snake, tiny frogs, the progression of wildflower blooms, evening bird calls, changing colors in the sunset.  And it is enough to get into the hiking "zone."

My other personal rule is not to camp in a tent unless the night temp is going to 65.  Nothing makes me crabbier than a sleepless night spent lying in an ever-expanding pool of my own sweat in a stuffy tent.

On previous vacations in dry, hot country (southern Utah, for example), I found that wearing a hat and using a wet bandana around my neck (or one of those bandana-like things filled with pellets that absorbs and hold water) were really helpful.  Sometimes I also dribbled water from my water bottle over my shirt as we hiked.  In Florida, these things just add to the incredible humidity, though I have been known to pour water over my head if I think I've getting overheated.

Any other heat tips?

Joan
bluetrail@aol.com