[at-l] ATC stuff

In a message dated 7/7/2005 8:55:05 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
optimyst@gmail.com writes:
For those who have attempted to diminish the contributions and
accomplishments of Benton MacKaye, I can only offer that the website
portrays how the organization feels about him.
-----------
What do you mean "feels about him," Rich? Do you mean the "80 years ago one
man had a vision," flash animation on the Home Page? Actually, 1921 was 84
years ago, and the quote the web designer follows with to define that "vision" is
from 1935 (70 years ago). 1935 is also the year MacKaye disassociated himself
from the ATC, hardly a high point for either party. If the web designer is
trying to refer to MacKaye's responsibility for the first ATC in '25, he's done a
clumsy job of it. It could be that the web designer just doesn't know very
much about MacKaye. I always recommend Larry Anderson's superb MacKaye biography
to people who want to learn about old Ben, and the ATC's "Trail Years" to
those who want to know about the Appalachian Trail and the ATC. Let's hope
someday the ATC makes them both required reading for new employees.

Very nice to hear that Weary's work has been recognized by the ATC. His story
is little known in AT circles and well deserving of greater recognition.

And I'm glad to see you've cleared up that piece of gossip about ALDHA and
Bryson that you recklessly introduced to this list. Thank you for your apology.
Teej