[at-l] Development plans raise concerns

In a message dated 7/7/2005 6:54:07 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
s.landis@comcast.net writes:

"The  plan proposes 164 half-acre lots with 4,000-5,000-square-foot homes
that  range from $400,000 to $600,000. The homes will be situated in a
basin in  between two hills on the mountain, with the Appalachian Trail
on both  sides."

The grouping of homes this size on such small lots indicates that they are
clustered homes with expanses of green surrounding them.  Personally, I  would
prefer a single home (Log Cabin) off by itself down a long road in the  woods
with a pond or a mountain stream on the property where privacy  prevailed.  If
I want to have close neighbors then I would live where I  live now -- in a
city -- where amenities abound and where there are  opportunities for
entertainment and communal interaction.  Where a bus is  waiting each hour to take me to
the mountains in New Jersey or a subway is  available to take me to beaches
nearby for walking in sand and surf.  There  is a 32 mile perimeter walk around
the city of NY (Manhattan) and many more  miles in each of the other boroughs
(Counties) which make up this five county  city.

Maine is a nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there.  Of
course, some might say the same about NYC or any city for that matter.

The other day I was driving to the Catskills in heavy traffic and there  were
just as many people driving toward NYC.  Why doesn't everybody just  stay
where they are?  Well, we all crave something different to  experience.  My
reward was being surrounded by the Catskill Mountains and  watching the sun set
between two high mountains as I sipped champagne, toasting  two wonderful people
who had just been joined in marriage.  It was worth  the trip!

Skylander