[at-l] ATC stuff

Hi gang,

The timing of the list being down couldn't have been more frustrating.
 Last Wednesday, I got an email notification that the new website
content at www.appalachiantrail.org was up.  I hope you'll all check
it out and sign up for the email alerts.  One of my first actions
after seeing the site was to write a post giving y'all notice of this
exciting development.  I was eager to share!  It was therefore very
annoying to have the message bounce and for the list to be down during
this wonderful moment in the history of the ATC.

For those who have attempted to diminish the contributions and
accomplishments of Benton MacKaye, I can only offer that the website
portrays how the organization feels about him.  I don't think it is
necessary to apologize for a man who was a great dreamer.

Next, I'm sure Weary will be too modest to boast of receiving ATC's
highest honor for his decades of tireless devotion to the Trail and
the wild lands of Maine.  Dave Field did a most impressive job in
recounting the accomplishments of this great man among us.  I hope all
the members of this list are proud of him.  And it was a joy to meet
him in person.  So many are the protectors of the Trail that I can't
help but be excited about the future, no matter the challenges we
shall face, for we shall face them with a unity of spirit and purpose
and energy that will not be defeated.

Those who attended the Biennial Conference got a free copy of the new
magazine "AT Journeys" as well as a bandanna with our new logo.  I
can't tell you how pumped the weekend's activities have made me.  The
response of the membership in attendance (950 is closer to the correct
number) was heartening.  There were no surprises at the business
meeting.  Everyone appears to be on board at a minimum and excited for
a great majority.

The new magazine has shipped so every member should be getting it in
the mail shortly.
A new era has begun!

I had the opportunity to unmask the mystery surrounding the no-show of
Bill Bryson back at the 1999 Gathering.  Bill O'Brien was Coordinator
that year and had arranged the appearance.  At lunch this weekend, I
couldn't resist quizzing Bill about the topic.  Before I continue, let
me apologize for my mistaken conclusion of that year.  Some may recall
that I voiced my criticism of the angry mob who seemed to want a piece
of Bryson as the reason for him not showing.  As Mr. Bryson was in
Australia working on an important National Geographic article under
time pressure in connection with the Sydney Olympics, he had sent his
regrets in writing in an obscure way that was open to
misinterpretation.  Only after our Gathering did Bill O'Brien
understand the reality of an earlier message from Mr. Bryson.  Bryson
was not only not just down the street in Hanover, he was on another
continent entirely!

Bill continued a friendly correspondence with Bryson afterwards and
suggested a keynote speech at the 2001 Gathering, but this time it was
the continent of Africa that held Bryson's focus and attention.  Bill
had alerted Bryson to the fact that any Q&A would likely be very
spirited and offered to moderate any overzealousness on the part of
ALDHA members.  According to Bill, Bryson seemed to relish the
prospect of such a event.  There is nothing in the record to suggest
Bryson was cowed by the prospect of a confrontation.  When Bryson
moved from Hanover, the impetus and likelihood of having him
participate in a Gathering dwindled to naught.

So there you have it, a more complete analysis of the Bryson mystery.
You also have my apology for my mistaken conclusions, but not for my
first-hand observance of an unruly and impolite crowd.

Events of the weekend only allowed me one hike, but it was an awesome
hike southbound to Laurel Falls with a termination at the Kincora
Hostel and my first experience of the hospitality of Bob and Pat
Peoples.  Awesome falls, awesome folks!

I drove home on the evening of Independence Day and got the
perspective of random fireworks in glimpses as I hurtled down the
interestate highways of Tennessee and the Carolinas.  Even more
impressive to me was the show at dusk put on by the thousands of
roadside fireflies.  They lit my way as I headed back south to the
wastelands of Central Florida.

Did I mention that I had a great time?

Happy trails,

Solar Bear