[at-l] Foothills Trail

George,
Let me know what you come up with.

The FT is one of my favorite short trails, in a really cool part of
the Pisgah.
I might join/hike near you guys, as my boyfriend is a
"hiker-in-training, as he calls himself. I have the same objectives -
enjoyment and sucking it all in.

It would be cooler and nicer if you did the section ABOVE the Blue
Ridge Parkway - starting from the Davidson river end is nice in fall,
but pretty "long-green tunnel." You're also climbing in elevation from
the river up to 6K from that end.
If you start above the BR Parkway, you'll miss most or all of the long
hard pull up Pilot mountain.

There are several 6K-ers you can knock out in the wonderful, basically
treeless, vista-heavy, blueberry-bush-laden area before entering the
Shining Rock Wilderness. I'm blanking on the Park Service parking lot
area before this - Black Balsam, just off the parkway? That might be a
good place to start.

You'll need a shuttle at the other end, the Boy Scout camp area. I'm
blanking on that name too.
The outfitter in Etowah shuttles, or you may have enough cars to do
your own.

Take a map and a compass through the Shining Rock Wilderness area, as
its basically unblazed and the trails can be confusing.
If you have time, take the side trail up Cold Mountain, another 6Ker.
There's a good spring up there.

Here's what one site says about the Shining Rock Wilderness, which the
Art passes through:
" Here in this series of high ridges on the north slopes of Pisgah
Ridge, you'll find extremely steep and rugged terrain ranging in
elevation from 3,200 feet on the banks of the West Fork of Pigeon
River, a major tributary of the Tennessee River, to 6,030 feet on Cold
Mountain. Streams abound, cutting narrow passages through the
mountains on their way to either the East or West Forks of the Pigeon
River. Loggers cut down the forest between 1906 and 1926 and fires
raged through the area in 1925 and 1942. These two factors account for
Shining Rock's grassy "balds" and unique vegetation.

Almost all the trails in the area rate as difficult, and they can be
hard to follow. Nevertheless, this Wilderness is one of the most
trampled in the state. No campfires are permitted, and group size is
limited to 10."

While it won't be full fall color in September, it will be a whole lot
more "fall" up there than in Charleston, which won't see color and
cool temps until November.

Seriously, keep me posted.
Shoester,
the recently-unwalked backpacker,
in need of brisk temps and a hill wander

PS Here's a webcam or two ro whet your wanderlust:
http://webcam.srs.fs.fed.us/
http://www.highcountrywebcams.com/webcameras_ShiningRock.htm

--
     	AT Journal: