[at-l] tolerance

In a message dated 6/26/2005 2:06:02 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
jbullar1@twcny.rr.com writes:

There is  a strong tendency to be unnecessarily confrontational in today's
political/social climate. I think we all need to step back a bit from our
self-righteousness and be a tad more understanding and diplomatic than is
the norm these days. The old saying "you can attract more flies with sugar
than vinegar" is still true. There is a difference between be assertive  and
being aggressive. You should aim for the former and avoid the  latter.

Sometimes knowledge of the dangers that can confront on a trail causes a
lack of wisdom in giving warning. The "urgency" of the warning overcomes the
ability to communicate in a friendly manner.  I think that you are correct  when
you point out that a more diplomatic approach is the better way to
communicate concern(s).  A friendly greeting, introduction, explanation of  the dangers
"up ahead" and advice proffered from an older hiker might get  through to
those in their twenties.  Then again, they might just ignore the  advice and
suffer the consequences (hopefully avoiding any lasting injury) but  they will
remember the advice, offered in kindness by the "old guy," when that  group
gathers for a beer later in the schedule.

Skylander