[at-l] tolerance

I respectfully disagree with the notion of tolerance.

I refuse to tolerate the actions of hikers who dump their trash in fire rings.
I refuse to tolerate the actions of people who disrespect other hikers' right to a clean campsite.
I refuse to tolerate the actions of people who do not provide a dry shelter (without wet doggies -- bring your tarp, I do) when it's pouring rain.
I refuse to tolerate loud music playing in the middle of the 'woods.'
I refuse to tolerate loud conversations on the cell/satellite phone.
I refuse to tolerate the activities of intolerant backpacking/hiking jerks who tear up hostels and motels, who act rudely to wait-staff at restaurants, who act like banshees and who generally give backpackers a bad name.

Tolerance of actions is good only insofar as what you are tolerating is either balanced and devoid of the negative or has some positive merit.

I have signed the pledge to be intolerant of disrespectful actions by backpackers, hikers and campers and to do my best to train those who exhibit such behaviors in the more proper way of enjoying the out of doors so that ALL may ENJOY their forays into said "woods" or "wild-er-ness" or "trails" or "parks" etc etc ad nauseum.

Signed, sealed and delivered:
Coosa
Who will tolerate people, but won't necessarily tolerate their activities.