From: at-l-bounces@backcountry.net [mailto:at-l-bounces@backcountry.net] On Behalf Of Bror8588@aol.com
Sent: Tuesday, June 21, 2005 11:33 AM
To: k_vanoverbeek@yahoo.com; Jack.Bulkley@sas.com; at-l@backcountry.net
Subject: Re: [at-l] Hennesy hammock, G4/ Mariposa pack on a thru questions

In a message dated 6/21/2005 10:49:17 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
k_vanoverbeek@yahoo.com writes:

Wouldn't all of this add up to carrying more weight
than if I were carrying a lightweight tent (Sierra
Designs something, Nomad or whichever one) with pad and
sleeping bag?

Secondly.. I have not (really) heard anyone comment on
their favourite choice for a thru?
Which would you go with?

The Clark Jungle Hammock offers a storm set-up with both screen and rain
protection as well as the Flye, which covers a large area to protect from
precipitation. This over fly can be adjusted to block rain coming at an angle.
There is an optional larger over fly that Clark Jungle Hammock offers with its
Deluxe Model that is well worth the extra cost.

My experience is that the Hammock weighs the same as a lightweight tent and
the pad, sleeping bag, etc., would be not added to the pack as they would also
be used in a tent.

In cold weather (Georgia in March and April gets down in the low thirties)
you will be glad to have the pad. The other feature in the Clark Jungle
Hammock are the pockets underneath the sleeping area that can be stuffed with
clothing to provide some insulation.

Ed Speer (in his newsletter, which has everything anyone would want to know
about hammock camping) offers ideas for keeping warm in a hammock. Dead
Leaves, Wind screens, and so much more. His book on hammocking is a treasure
trove of information.

Getting up in the morning one is covered by the over fly and dry shoes can
be put on before running into the woods to do what needs to be done (perhaps an
umbrella would be useful for that).

Each New Year's Eve Ed Speer has a "Hammock Campout" and lots of information
is shared there. It is a good way to see hammocks in action.

Skylander