[at-l] ANSWERS ANYONE?

In a message dated 6/20/2005 9:23:14 AM Eastern Standard Time,
tinman@antigravitygear.com writes:
*
*
*
30 yards away.  The whole experience - sound, smells, feel- was incredibly
beautiful and restorative.   Never mind there was a road 250 yards away and
a lake  1/4 mile away with powerboats that I couldn't hear or a subdivision
at the top of the mountain with paved roads and cable tv.

Where is wilderness?  Like gold, it's where you find it and belongs to the
individual who finds it.
*
*
*

           ***   I totally agree with the tone and intent of Tinman's post.
Nature is quite resilient in filling any area if left for long. That is partly
why relative wilderness is worth preserving.

          However, people wanting to develop near the Trail would be
overjoyed to see hikers satisfied with small patches of nature near condos,
powerboats, and roads.

        What I don't see answered are the scientific environmental facts that
those nearby development features serve to diminish habitat, add pollution
and noise, and deteriorate healthy habitat and environs. There's no doubt
retaining unfragmented greenways preserved by an AT ethic is superior to "hedge row"
compromising and pretending.

       Sorry, I don't take extinctionist culture casually. I don't think the
bigger picture is being recognized here...