[at-l] Deep Gap between Elk Gardens & Mt. Rogers

Over Memorial Day weekend, Gutsy & I had a nice 4-day backpacking trip from Damascus to Old Orchard Shelter and back to Damascus.  At Deep Gap there are signs as you approach from both directions:  "No camping within 500 feet of gap."  But just "A.T. south" of Deep Gap I saw a blue blazed trail leading to a slightly higher area that could well be a good campsite.  I almost went to check it out, but did not.  A horse trail also comes into Deep Gap, but stays about 100 yards distant "compass south" in the gap.  It runs from Rhododendrum Gap to Elk Gardens.

Hiking back to Damascus, we hiked the VA Creeper Trail the last 10 miles or so, from the high trestle bridge.  We camped almost directly under that bridge the last night.

Dan