[at-l] Do'in the AT...

I (who retire at 63) and a young teen (who will be 18 when we get to hike in 2008), are also planning a Thru Hike.  We'll be starting June 1, 2008 at Harpers Ferry hiking North, then hitch back to HF and hike South to Springer (and home).  So I'm not yet a ThruHiker but I'm already doing my research and getting equipment together.

I think Baltimore Jack's list (check the emails in the archives from last month) of places along the Trail or in Trail Towns, hostels and motels favorable to hikers, etc. is a good list to use.  Read some of the Trail Journals on the www.trailjournals.com  site to get a 'feel' of what it's like this year or in years past.  Read Model T's book "Walking on the Happy Side of Misery" (he's X-Military, too).

Then, go out there and ENJOY.  Yogi when you can.   Smell whatever is out there to smell (maybe wild roses, definitely ripening wild fruit), treat your water, meet loads of people, take some photos, write a journal.  Unwind.

If you start in Georgia on July 1 expect HOT temps down low and occasional hypothermic weather if it rains up high.  Be prepared and carry sufficient water, as some of the springs will be dry or nearly so.  And remember:  the mountains make their own weather.

Coosa