[at-l] More Musings Sparked by Recent Digest Reading

What is the purpose of the AT?  My Answer - at this moment anyway - in
19 words is:  Connection; Physical Nature; Community; Spiritual Nature;
Conservation; Eternal Nature; Cooperation; Human Nature . . . Learning a
different way to simply - BE!

My personal question, over which I just had to laugh:  Can I be sane if
I still love reading Pirsig's Zen, Ayn Rand's books, Colin Fletcher's
books, local New Bern man Nicholas Sparks' books, Marianne Williamson's
"Return to Love," all of Bryson's books, Earl Schaffer's collection of
poems, Robert Heinlein, Frank Herbert, James Michner's historical
fiction books, David Reston's "Warriors of God?" and all kinds of stuff
in between?  To me, the essence of the deal is to explore widely and
somehow come up with some universal thoughts . . .

What is wilderness?  I have burnt a lot of internal sawdust on this one
- and posted some rambling, long e-mails several years back on the topic
that I will not bore you with now, but I will repeat the common dilemma
I come up with, which - put one kinda simple way - is to find a way to
define both a beaver dam and hoover dam as natural, without somehow
losing the magic, possibly deceptive notion that we can preserve places
on our planet where the impact of human activity is relatively minimal
is a wonderful thing without demonizing ourselves and the fruits of ou
labors as "unnatural" or "bad" or "less good."  My 20+ years of often
controversial environmental law practice have convinced me of one thing
- we need less confrontation and demonizing, and more common ground
between the so-called "pro-business" and so-called "pro-environment"
camps . . . this is an especially tough challenge in today's political
"environment"

Keep on walking and thinking!

Thru-Thinker
[Clark]