[at-l] Weary's Poem

In a message dated 6/17/2005 3:02:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
jbullar1@twcny.rr.com writes:

You will  forgive me I hope for giving a literal answer to that last. No.
The trail,  where it was marked at all for Earl's first thru, was marked
with metal  diamonds. I have a replica trail marker on the wall over my
computer  table. White blazes, I believe, came later.

So the rigid rules of "Passing every White Blaze" came later, and yet
everyone would agree that ES did a Thruhike.  So when the ATC was formed  and there
was a rush for badges (2000 mile Hiker variety) it was thought prudent  to
have rules?  Hiking end to end is the hope for many and a goal that is  completed
by some grudgingly.  On one of the AT films one person is  complaining about
the trail being boring.  That could be true if one hikes  beyond their
capacity to enjoy the many wonderful species of nature along the  way.  It is a
tiring walk -- that 2,174 (or whatever it is this year) miles  -- up and down and
up and down with noisy shelters and moments of solitude  imposed if not sought.

I would like another week in Georgia.  Perhaps in 2006.  In the  meantime I
will hike in Harriman Park (on the AT) and both Pennsylvania and  Connecticut
are nearby.  Still, my knees protest when worked for an hour or  two or three
on fairly level ground.  Good thing there is medication and  after hike balm,
and hot baths, and a Tempur Pedic Bed.

Skylander Jack