[at-l] My local Hike Group's Conversation re: Hiking

Nilsa wrote..."The backpacking bug is biting me again."

Nilsa, and  all,

Be careful.  When the backpacking bug bites, if  left untreated, it
can cause a malady known as Springer Fever.  Every  year hundreds, some years
thousands, of people get it and there is no easy  cure.  Once you have it,
the fever has to run it's course.  In fact  some people never are cured, they
just learn to live with Springer  Fever.  You'll know that you have Springer
Fever if come late  winter/early spring you find yourself dreaming of going
for a long walk in  the woods.  You'll consider quitting your job, saying
good bye to family  and friends, and going days on end without a shower so
that you can live out  your dream.  Those around you will know there is
something wrong when  you start reading the Campmor catalog cover to cover
and you try to initiate  conversations on the advantages of synthetic
insulation over down insulation  in a sleeping bag.  While they realize
something is wrong they may not  know what it is, and I guarantee you that
they certainly don't understand the  treatment.
The only effective treatment is to head off for a 4  to 6 month hike
of the Appalachian Trail.  Some people start in Maine  and head south while
others start in Georgia and head north.  Other  hikers foolishly believe that
by hiking the AT in sections, as time allows,  that their Springer Fever will
be cured.  That approach only puts off  the inevitable, kind of like taking
doctor prescribed antibiotics but not  finishing the whole prescription.  The
disease will surely return.   At best it only keeps the symptoms at bay.
I hope you folks  have a good trip!  My wife Kathy and I will be out
2 weeks on the AT in  August.  First we'll hike in PA from Hawk Mountain Road
to the Delaware  Water Gap, about 65 miles.  Then we'll jump in the car and
drive up to  CT and hike from the town of Salisbury northward to someplace in
MA.  We  haven't quite worked out the details of that part yet.

Happy hiking  all,
Beware of the backpacking bug.
Paul

Yahoo!  Groups Links