[at-l] By Popular Request...

One person asked to see photos (that shows how desperate I am) of the Cranberry Lake trip so here are a few. It wasn't a very productive trip, photowise and they aren't going to end up being printed for art prints but here they are for what they are worth.
<http://hiking.jimbullard.org/journals/cranberry_lake.htm>

Thanks!  I love the moody picture of Bear Mountain.  Very, very nice.

We had an interesting event this morning.  When a friend's office staff came to open his office, there was a bear cub scratching at the door.  This was on the main street of South Boston, VA, a town of about 7,500 people.  A small crowd apparently gathered, and the bear was last seen wandering off down a street that backs up against the Dan River.  Blessedly, the game wardens are short-handed because one of them is in Iraq.  I wouldn't trust them not to accidentally kill the poor baby in an effort to tranqualize it.  I'm just thrilled to know that we have bears in this county.  They don't hunt bears here, yet, so maybe the population will grow a bit.

Last week, a 200 lb. bear (do they weight these things?) got into the basement of a home outside Harrisonburg, VA.  It followed the family dog in after it had been out to do its business.  The lady ran out and locked the bear inside.  After about 45 mins., the police came and opened the back door and let the bear out.  It got away in the dark before they could capture it.  Of course, the basement was totally wrecked.

anklebear