From: Robert
To: Charles Copeland ; at-l@backcountry.net
Sent: Tuesday, June 14, 2005 7:09 PM
Subject: Re: [at-l] Shane, Shane

For every hydrogen story I read in favor of hydrogen, usually right behind it is a story saying that hydrogen doesn't work for a number of reasons. The thing I notice most is that the reasons for not using hydrogen always revolve around existing processes for extraction, transport, etc. Each time I see this I wonder how much will change as more research is done. The Wright brothers were laughed at for suggesting that planes be used for military applications. At the time, many people felt that there would never be a useful purpose for some crazy flying machine. You have to wonder, if the government had been more behind the idea, would we have gotten to this level of flight 10x sooner? Look at the space race. When Kennedy decided to go ahead with the Apollo program it was considered by many to be out of our reach. I just finished reading an article in Wired that spoke to this issue and had some very interesting ideas about the possibility of a hydrogen economy. Who knows what will
 happen for sure, but I'd rather we go in the direction of something that could potentially free us from our dependence on other countries for oil. And yes, nuclear power now is a different animal altogether from what it was just a decade ago. New plants won't melt down and getting energy from them is much more environmentally friendly than ever before. More importantly, even the most staunch environmentalist has to admit now that even nuclear power is better than gas/oil.

Charles Copeland wrote:
I like alcohol stoves. They are light, easy to make, and they burn anything
in them - including wood if necessary. However, I think they are
*extremely* dangerous because when they are burning alcohol, its hard to see
the flame and if the stove gets knocked over (say... by some Scout running
through your cooking area), there's a nice pretty flame coming from your
flashlight that you set down a foot away - thinking it was safe to do so...

:-)

On the subject of hydrogen:

Hydrogen-powered vehicles are a long way away. A gallon of gasoline
contains about 2600 times the energy of a gallon of hydrogen. It would take
a *lot* of hydrogen to get a vehicle 300 miles. There are also many
electrolysis/storage/distribution issues. If we build more nuclear power
plants that are solely used for electrolysis, we could create the hydrogen
w/o producing CO and CO2. However, we don't have a storage mechanism for
hydrogen that doesn't leak.

If you're interested in reading why we won't be driving hydrogen-powered
cars anytime soon:

http://www.popsci.com/popsci/generaltech/article/0,20967,927469,00.html

Charles