[at-l] Commutes, Energy, Public T

In a message dated 6/15/2005 9:01:45 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
rafeb@speakeasy.net writes:

I'm a  big believer in
public transportation, but most Republicans  aren't.

Public Transportation is not espoused by Republicans?  That is a  peculiar
statement.  I think the real answer is that Public Transportation  is valued by
people who have access to PT and who can get to where they want to  go.  It is
not a Republican or Democrat issue.  It is a utilitarian  issue.  Those who
live in Big Cities where PT is available use it.   Here in NYC the Billionaire
Mayor (his name is Bloomberg) takes the subway to  City Hall and home.  I gave
up my car years ago when I was commuting to  Stamford, CT, via Train (New
Haven Line on Metro-North).  I have written  letters to the Governors of both NY
and NJ regarding public transportation to  Public Parks.  It is a high
priority for me and for others who reside in  highly populated areas.  Often when I
travel out on Long Island and see the  clogged Long Island Expressway from the
comfort of my seat on the railroad I  feel an inner sense of satisfaction from
having chosen public transportation  over owning an automobile.

The option of having a car when it is needed (Rental Agencies) is always
present and if one plans ahead there is no problem obtaining such.   Sometimes it
is very much easier to get to a destination using a private  automobile.
There is convenience (come and go at will) along with the  traffic and congestion
that often surprises, but the costs have to be weighed on  the broad aspect
of transportation.  Certainly the cost of Public  Transportation outweighs the
cost of ownership.  The cost of insurance  alone more than pays for my use of
trains, planes and buses (and taxis where  that final connection needs a
boost).

The use of Public Transportation is not determined by ones political
persuasion, but rather by its availability.  Getting to and from places of  interest
is a matter of convenience and not a matter of political  alliance.

Skylander