[at-l] Gear Rant: Zip Stoves

In a message dated 6/14/2005 2:29:17 PM Eastern Standard Time,
ellen@clinic.net writes:
*
*
*
I bury the spent batteries, much to the consternation of OB, who in an
earlier Zip debate insisted batteries are perfectly safe to place in trash
containers with all the other trash, and should be placed there. OB is probably right,
of course. But my instincts tell me burial is better than burning chemicals in
an incinerator, which is where most trash ends up.
*
*
*

         I called our local waste disposal line and they said any new
batteries are disposable in the trash. They no longer have the heavy metals they once
had.

         They said rechargeables still do, so dispose of them in specially
marked bags at your recycling pick-up.

*