[at-l] Gear Rant: Zip Stoves

In a message dated 6/14/2005 9:16:51 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
greyowl@rcn.com writes:

> Finally, some areas consider a zip stove the same as an open
> fire and if there are high fire hazard days you may not be
> allowed to use them.

Yup and if you do any hiking out west, often, there are fire restrictions.
I'd feel like hanging myself if I ever caused a forest fire.

On the AT, you many times have the opposite situation, too damp.  Now you
have to whittle or shave the bark to get to dry wood.

Besides being big, bulky, and dirty, just too many negatives for this hiker.

YMMV,

Sly