[at-l] Gear Rant: Zip Stoves

I used a Zip for a while but found it a bit of a hassle.

I have been a confirmed alcohol stove / pot cozy user for a few yaers now.

My stove, cozy, fuel bottle, and enough fuel for 10 days to two week weighs
only 13.2 oz.  I have never had problems finding fuel.

The outside of my cooking pot has turned black over the years, however for a
meal-to-meal clean-up there is no black soot to rub off onto everything.  When
I used a ZIP the soot was a hassle.  In fact, some of the permanent black may
be left over from those days.  Better yet, using a cozy I never have any food
cooked on, scorched, burned, etc to clean out of the inside of the pot,
either.  Nor am I limited to soupy concoctions to avoid burning with limited
simmer control.  Cooking "in" a shelter (crowded or otherwise) is a bad
practice which I avoid most of the time.  Cook at a shelter with alcohol has
never been dicey -- no smoke to bother others.  After use, my stove is
packable before my meal is finished cooking in the cozy.  And I never have to
stock up on twigs, pine cones, bark, or whatever. No extra steps in getting
ready to cook.  No back-up battery to carry.  Nor do I have to carry a back-up
stash of dry  fuel as I see many Zip users do.

I just go back from a five day outing where it rained every day, one day all
day, otherwise mostly at meal times.  Clean, easy cooking of real rice, beans,
pasta, etc was one of the brighter spots.

As always YMMV.

Chainsaw