[at-l] "Human crap"

"...Hot here too, at least by NNY standards. We're in a July weather pattern
according to the weather guys, temperatures in the high 8Os/low 90s. That's
pretty hot when you are used to 50/60s. We also have a lot of tent
caterpillars. In some places they have totally defoliated the maples.
They've done in about half the leaves on my crabapple and noticeable damage
to the maples around my yard."

Talk about hot. It was close to 90 most of the day at my Maine coast house. My daughter arrived about 5;30 TO PROOF read my Maine Chapter newsletter, Wilderness Matters. I said I was just leaving to buy some haddock at the fish market 7 miles to the north -- and should I get enough for her and her "significant other."

She said "yes."

The fish market has a special on some fresh fillets 5 pounds for 20 Dollars. Well. I bit. (three pounds for $15, vs, 5 pounds for $20.) Sounded like a deal. I arrived back in the driveway and the rest of my kids, and several spouses and grand kids  were there. One to mow the lawn. Others to talk college preparations. One grandchild will start his second year as Worcester Polytechnic in the fall. A granddaughter starts at Simmons in the fall.

Lucky I did. I baked 4 of my 5 pounds -- leaving just enough for a chowder later in the week.

Everyone complained about the heat. Several suggested going home, given the unexpected heat -- and crowded company. But I argued that everything was ready -- or could be in less than 10 minutes. We would need only to add some of the 8 leaves to the oak dining table I bought at auction 40 years ago for $4, and set the table.

Thick haddock fillets, cook at 500 degrees in about 7 or 8 minutes, 40 years of practice have taught me.

I had already made the egg sauce. (a big fish bouillon cube, two cups of milk, an 8th of a pound of butter, and three tablespoons of flour.) Two packages of frozen peas were in the freezer. Egg noodles. bought whenever on sale, soften in 10 minutes at the most.

All went well. We fed 11 for about $25, probably a bit less. And have enough fish left for a chowder.

Weary, who eats well -- and drinks well -- despite being less than prosperous these days as he struggles to make income, bills, desires, booze, land trust donations, and internet lists all balance.

I go to the lung doctor in the morning. Then to Sears where I need to replace a router to make a sign some hunter had shot up a couple of years ago on a town land trust preserve perimeter trail.

So. I promise nothing. But yearn for much.

Weary