[at-l] Ultralight Backpacking

Mark Nickerson wrote:

>Lately, I've been wondering why someone hasn't:
>
>invented a pack cover with a section map printed onto the material

How about the bandannas sold by Tinman, ALDHA and (I believe) ATC that have
AT sections printed on them?  Not sure why you'd want a pack like that - it
would be hard to read while you're wearing the pack - and even harder to
read when it was stuffed into the pack <G>

>injected soap and/or deoderant into socks and shirt pits  (the real wash
>and wear)

LOL!! Interesting idea - but --- have you ever washed your socks with too
much soap and then hiked in the rain?  The trail of bubbles is entertaining.

>invented "spakes"...spoons which can be used as tent stakes

Another interesting idea although given some of the places I've had to drive
tent stakes I'm not sure I'd want to put that stake in my mouth afterward.

>combined the concept of a water bladders with a trail pillow

Uh-huh - try the REI watersak.  I've known thruhikers who carried two of
them - one for water and the other for a pillow.

>built a sleeping pad onto a sleeping bag

Stephenson does this - if they're still in business.  Haven't looked at
their stuff for a while.

>sewn storage bags onto everything

How about an external pack frame with no pack bag - just put everything into
stuff sacks and lash them to the frame?  Haven't seen one of those in years.

>combined bivy, sleeping pad and sleeping bag (the bivy down bag!)

Go find Big John - he used to sell a combo pack, tent, pad and bag.   URL -
http://www.moonbowgear.com/

>used the tubing of an external frame backpack to hold water

Now - that's a new one.  Patent it.  Quickly.

>attached solar collectors to the top of backpacks (for non-AT hikers)

Hmmm - for what?  GPS?  Cell phone?  Ipod?  You may want to meet Bun-bun  -
or not.  (http://www.spiriteaglehome.com/bun-bun.html).  <g>

>used the tubing of an external backpack to store batteries Is it a large
>enough diameter to do this?

Battery leakage could be a problem - although AA batteries "might" fit.  Try
it.

>developed a combination duffle/pack cover!
>
>added another item to our Murder on the AT thread.

Walk softly,
Jim

http://www.spiriteaglehome.com/