[at-l] "Human crap"

At 12:07 AM 6/13/2005 -0400, RnR wrote:

>In a message dated 6/12/2005 8:04:25 PM Eastern Standard Time,
>rafeb@speakeasy.net writes:
>*
>One is not many.  And RnR represents
>nobody but himself and the Holy Ghost
>of Benton MacKaye.
>*
>         If you took a deeper look into the AT and what it is that would be
>disproven. Unfortunately most look for a quick defense reaction instead of
>considering that there's real Trail substance in that perspective. That's
>why I
>find this list extraordinarily shallow for an AT site that compliments itself
>on the depth, interesting-ness, and diversity of its members.
>
>        The statement above is just plain false...

Can you claim to speak for anyone else, RnR?

What organization are you with?  What official
weight do your opinions carry?

If you mean to say that you live a world view in
conformance with your notion of what Benton
MacKaye said or thought or believed, that's
another matter and I wouldn't argue the point.

I meant no offense by my comment, though
I suppose it was a bit snarky.  I apologize for that.
I just don't agree that there's a standard, official,
canonical version of What Benton Believed,
nor do I accept without question your own
pronouncements on that topic.

I have a huge regard for uncle Benton. He was
a sage and a visionary, though I also believe he
was crazy as a loon in some regards.  He was
way ahead of his time, I'll grant you that.

I agree with you that a proper discussion of
Benton's "deeper intentions" is apparently not
what the folks here want to talk about.  Neither
of us is going to change that, and you in
particular hinder any such discussion by
your authoritarian, dogmatic stance when such
discussions do take place.  It's your way or
the highway, it seems.

I'm just here to find out more about a particular
160 mile section of Benton's masterpiece, but
can't seem to drum up much interest in that, either.

rafe b
aka terrapin