[at-l] Re: Jim Owen of Spirit Eagle

I love the mystery of human nature, the contradictions inherent in
stuffing ourselves inside this soft wimpy skin of ours.  We are made
of the stuff born inside of stars that have died and we have the
imaginations that can span the galaxies.  We have science which has
enabled us to solve countless mysteries and invent marvellous (and
horrific) machines to do our work for us.  We claim to know logic and
seek truth but frequently attain only the lower standard of
rationalization of our inbred ideas.  I know myself to be a prime
example of this flawed, contradictory breed often given to hubris.

My friend Jim Owen is not a perfect human being.  He has some hard
edges.  In his life I daresay he's made more rounds inside the
rocktumbler of life's adversities than many of us and he has been and
is being shaped by it.  He's made of stern stuff, but I don't let
those remaining hard edges obscure the shining gem of a human being
that lies within.  Yes, Jim and I rationalize things quite differently
on unimportant matters like politics, he the conservative, and me the
liberal, but that pales beside the important matters upon which we
agree.  I can think of few people I'd rather go for a hike with.

Let us disagree with one another on the issues of the day, but let us
do it respectfully.  Let us spend the bulk of our energies here on the
much more satisfying job of building friendships and sharing the joys
of our hiking lifestyle.  Where there has been conflict, let us choose
to forgive and forget.  As each hike must end, why not let our grudges
do the same?  And let us look for the good in the Trail lovers here
and not get hung up on the sharp edges that few are without. Let us
start anew and learn anew from each other: new hikes, new friendships
and new adventures around every bend in the Trail.  With goodwill, it
can be done.

Happy trails,

Solar Bear