[at-l] External Frame Packs

In a message dated 6/10/2005 8:20:51 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
rafeb@speakeasy.net writes:

So am I  the only one on the planet that still
prefers external frame  packs?

I too, have an EF pack.  I bought mine in 1978 -- a Kelty (olive  green) pack
with two large sections and four small "external" pockets.

I like it because the frame can be used to hang the pack up a tree or on a
hook, or with a rope or carabiner on just about anything.

The other good thing about an EF pack is that one can hang shoes/sneakers  to
dry when they get wet (or clothing for that matter) from the external
framing.

 The newer EFs have a bowed aluminum part at the top which may make  hanging
from a hook easier.

My first thoughts as I brought this pack out of storage after some 26 years
was that it seemed too small to hold all my stuff.  Then I found out that  the
larger the pockets and sections were the more the d--n pack would get.

I like the various compartments which make for easy organization of  stuff.
I think on my next Long Distance hike I will have to exercise  better judgment
regarding stuff to bring along.  I like my comfort in camp  but carrying over
40 + pounds slows me down to a snail's pace.  Then again,  walking very
slowly enables me to observe minutia.  If I could eliminate  food on a LD hike (and
just eat in towns or at cross roads where there might be  a restaurant of
sorts) it would make the pack lighter.

Thinking of food as purely Fuel it could be done but food for me is also
comfort.  Hmm, Ramen is comfort, Ramen is comfort, Ramen is comfort. No,  that
doesn't do it.

Skylander