[at-l] Rabies & hiking

 I do plan (as I stated) to keep on hiking.  I'm not afraid of getting the shots, but I don't relish the thought of something as agile and quick as a bobcat ripping at me.  I did talk to the local hiker who was repeatedly attacked by the rabid bobcat; he managed to hit the attacing bobcat with a large stick and stunned it.  Then the critter got up and came after him again.  The bobcat even attacked the ranger's SUV. The problem that crossed my mind was what to do other than swing at an attacking animal with my hiking sticks.  Maybe I'll just ponder it as I hike.

Joan

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert <infinity1plus1@yahoo.com>
To: bluetrail@aol.com; at-L@backcountry.net
Sent: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 07:26:15 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [at-l] Rabies & hiking

rabies is not really as a big a concern as it once was... the bite is not so bad... the biter is the real problem... if you get bit by a raccoon possum or other such creature chances are you arent going to be mortally wounded... get to a doctor and have the wound treated and start a vaccine regimen as soon as possible... there has never been a case of rabies in the us for a human who began this regimen... now with the bobcat or other animals with a little more chance of actually killing you the fear should not be that it will kill you with rabies but with its actual attack... basically be careful of wild animals as you normally would... dont let the fear of rabies worry you... its just a few shots in the arm now to stop rabies from developing

bluetrail@aol.com wrote:
Just read in the local paper that there have been 16 reports of attacks on humans and pets by rabid animals (raccoons, possum, bobcat, otter) in my very small county since January 1. According to the newspaper, 16 is an unusally high number of attacks. About two years ago a rabid bobcat seriously attacked a first-time solo hiker in my county; the same bobcat also attacked the ranger who came to assist the hiker and the ranger's vehicle.

I often take short hikes alone after work (7 trailheads within 20 minutes of my house), and I plan to continue to take those late day hikes. I do NOT want to hike with a gun, nor am I trained to use one. I know to avoid animals with suspicious behavior, but what in the world should one do if something like a bobcat attacks you? I'm guessing I'd use my hiking poles to try to beat it away. Any other suggestions? It's enough to make me carry a cell phone.

Joan
bluetrail@aol.com