From: <bluetrail@aol.com>
To: <at-L@backcountry.net>
Sent: Wednesday, June 08, 2005 9:57 AM
Subject: [at-l] Rabies & hiking

Just read in the local paper that there have been 16 reports of attacks on
humans and pets by rabid animals (raccoons, possum, bobcat, otter) in my
very small county since January 1.  According to the newspaper, 16 is an
unusally high number of attacks.  About two years ago a rabid bobcat
seriously attacked a first-time solo hiker in my county; the same bobcat
also attacked the ranger who came to assist the hiker and the ranger's
vehicle.

I often take short hikes alone after work (7 trailheads within 20 minutes of
my house), and I plan to continue to take those late day hikes.  I do NOT
want to hike with a gun, nor am I trained to use one.  I know to avoid
animals with suspicious behavior, but what in the world should one do if
something like a bobcat attacks you?  I'm guessing I'd use my hiking poles
to try to beat it away.  Any other suggestions?  It's enough to make me
carry a cell phone.

Joan
bluetrail@aol.com