[at-l] Indoor wildlife surprise

And if ten people correctly identify and publicize the presence of those snakes
out of their "natural" territories the "books" will say that there are
populations of escaped pets all over the place.

There probably aren't many alligators in the NYC sewage system but it does
happen.  It also happens that people imagine that they know more than they do.

West Nile virus seems to have jumped well beyond its previous natural
boundaries.

--- Jim Bullard <jbullar1@twcny.rr.com> wrote:

> At 07:36 AM 6/7/2005 -0400, Carol Donaldson wrote:
> >2 years ago I had a baby cottonmouth nestled in the inside crevase of my
> >storm door, attempting to get into the house.  Like a fool "don't try this
> >at home" I attempted to pick him (her?) up in the style of the Croc Hunter
> >and nearly got myself bit.  It wiggled away, needless to say.  Haven't
> >seen another one.  They do live here, even if all the "books" and the Ga
> >Extension Service say 'no they don't.'  I have a neighbor who's seen a lot
> >of them in the swampy area near her house.
>
> If they were ever willing to admit you identified it properly those
> "experts" would probably tell you that the one you saw was an escaped
> 'pet', not proof that there is a viable local population. That's what I got
> told by NY DEC folks when I related seeing a rattlesnake about a mile from
> my house.

JestBill  Ga--->Me '03