[at-l] Re:New Georgia Interstate to cross Trail

Snowflake/Swallowtail/Bett writes: It seems to me that in the last number of years that the North Georgia mountains has finally made that area known as a tourist, vacation, retirement area.  People move there or visit there to see and enjoy those same lovely mountains that they keep flattening to build huge shopping areas.  Add an interstate into the mix, and you'll soon have fewer mountains and less reason for people to visit.

There are positives along with the negatives and I hesitate to introduce one because I am against any more highways when the USofA's infrastructure is disintegrating even as we speak.  When was the last time YOUR sewage pipes created a sinkhole?  Happens with frequency in Atlanta.  And probably other cities and towns around the Nation.

A positive would be the addition of industry which needs an InterState Hwy system to haul off the product.  That would create more jobs and Union County is hurting for industry that can hire a large number of employees.

Destroying the Mountains around Unicoi Gap, Unicoi State Park, Mark Trail Wilderness Area, and Helen would be tantamount to a second raping of the land.  The first was when gold was discovered at Aurorea and surroundings.

I don't think they can destroy the designated wilderness, but if money is involved, I'm sure there are ways of getting around even the strictest of interpretations of the law.

Blame it on the horseless buggy.  We wouldn't need InterStates if we still used horse and buggy.

Or would we?

Coosa