[at-l] AT on Katahdin open 6/3

  The Hunt Trail up Katahdin is now open. With the Katahdin Stream Ranger's
permission I climbed Friday morning up onto the Hunt spur, past some rotten
snow and a few small glaciers, but the AT was safe to use in my opinion. I had
promised not to summit, and headed back down to report feeling all heroic-like,
only to meet an off duty Ranger down by the Falls who was going up to see if
he could climb to the summit. After both of our reports the Trail was declared
open by HQ.
  Two bridges are out on the AT inside Baxter. The Foss-Knowlton Bridge and
the cabled planks over the South branch of Nesouderhunk Stream were destroyed
by high water. Foss-Knowlton is a wicked roaring ford where the bridge was
(bridges are placed at the shortest span, always best to look for fords above and
below washed out bridges), and the other one had a jungle gym of flotsam and
smashed planks for a knee deep white water traverse.
 Two southbounders who turned back at the second ford were going to flip down
to Virginia. Met Augie, Blake and Mike, Tess and Rob, Keith and Lisa, all
doing well and heading south. Tess, from Oz, had never seen a moose. I spotted a
cow and calf near the Birches, ran to get her and Rob, and the moose were
still there when we went back. Rather amazing actually, because that kind of thing
seems to never work out.
 Liqidation logging continues at high speed adjacent to Baxter's southern
border and the AT corridor where it enters the Park. The sweet scent of fresh cut
wood strongly flavors the air at the Abol Stream bridge.
 Blackflies and Skeeters were out, annoying at times.
 Pictures, more thoughts, later.
Tuckered TJ