----- Original Message -----
  From: Jim Bullard

  And I'm going to give you something to think about re: commercial
  broadcasting. Have you ever considered that nearly everything you buy has a
  "tax" on it that supports commercial TV and/or radio? All those products
  that get advertised have higher prices (a "private, non-governmental tax")
  that pays for the cost of the ads to convince people to buy the product?
  Have you ever considered that you pay that non-governmental tax whenever
  you buy the product even if you never watch/listen to the stations/programs
  they support? Have you ever thought about the tax break the companies get
  for the "business expense" of buying advertising, an expense they paid with
  dollars they took from *your* pocket without asking you? Something to think
  about when you wonder "why does this cost so much?".

  At least when PBS asks for your money they are up front about it.