[at-l] Re: A Walk in the Woods

At 11:56 PM 6/2/2005 -0400, RoksnRoots@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 6/1/2005 10:31:24 PM Eastern Standard Time,
>jbullar1@twcny.rr.com writes:
>*
>More unfounded speculation. There is a fair degree of hubris in the above.
>*
>
>         Is it though Bullard? Most people agree Bryson covered little of the
>through-hiking experience most people know - as well as miles. I think you
>said you never hiked the Trail. I did and was made aware of ALDHA and the
>Gathering through register information and Trail talk almost immediately.
>But I hiked
>south from Katahdin in the fall and met those who were talking about it at
>the time. I think 'hubris' is a little unfair. Perhaps 'experience' would be
>more accurate. I personally doubt Bryson was unaware of who and what ALDHA
>was
>and have words I could suggest for the suggestion he wasn't as well. In any
>case, if he wasn't aware that only accents how ill-informed he was, and,
>since I
>knew about ALDHA from my Trail experience, it also suggests he wasn't that
>involved with the Trail Community. The man wrote the best selling book
>about the
>AT for goodness' sakes...
>
>    Let's see ALDHA - "Appalachian Long Distance Hikers Association." Hmmm...

It is true I haven't thru-hiked and, given the way my life (as opposed to
my plans) is unfolding I may never thru-hike. That doesn't negate my statement.

As it happens I was aware of the 46ers before climbing my first High Peak
in the Adirondacks but that does not make my original contention false
either. I have met several people who have also climbed all 46 High Peaks
(and numerous others) without ever being aware of the group known as the
46ers until they learned of it from me. I meet dozens of people climbing
and hiking in the Adirondacks all the time who are unaware of either ADK or
the 46ers so I stand by my statement that it is hubris to assume that
Bryson knew much about ALDHA. Maybe he did and maybe he didn't. By your own
admission he was ill informed about the trail community. It remains
speculation just as the assumptions about his reasons for failing to show
up are speculation.