[at-l] gotta say it...

In a message dated 6/3/2005 10:30:30 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
daveh@psknet.com writes:

I doubt  that anyone on this list can speak for the list members, much less
the
country.

And yet people try to do so.  I think that when I am asked questions  in
Germany and give answers from my own point of view it conveys a sense of
engagement.  When people from another country ask persistent questions I  believe it
is an attempt to engage in conversation.  I always state that  "this is my
opinion and as recent elections show there is a diversity among  those in the US"
and then I proceed to give my opinion.  Heck, I even tell  the Germans what I
think of their own government (though I stay away from past  history -- W.W.II
and W.W.I -- as it is still a painful subject for some).

I know that the safe way is to not talk politics, religion, and sex but
these are what people have feelings about and what make life exciting.  In  some
places it is not prudent to bring up the topic of sports teams but as long  as
people keep their tempers in check there can be some great discussions from
these topics.

The other day I was at a party with some friends and I began waxing  eloquent
about the AT and one of the guys said as I spoke about my hike (short  as it
was) "Oh, oh, Jack has a new victim."  I happened to be talking to a  woman
who hadn't heard my story but had heard that I had made an attempt.   She wanted
to know details and I was willing.

For what it is worth, if one is going to meet some people of the night life
at a bar and one wants a conversation starter beyond the initial introductions
 -- a discussion of sports is good, a discussion of heroic feats is better,
and  in-between a discussion of involvement in Sailing, or Hiking, or some
other  activity seems to keep the interest of most.  If not, hey, move on.

Skylander