[at-l] THE ATC & Membership therein - a bit longish

Coosa wrote>>
>>>I think that the advertising for ATC membership will bring in more people if it's placed in magazines pertaining to peripheral
sports in which backpacking or hiking can be included in that sport.  For instance:  Mountain Biking, Trail (Horse) Riding, Off-Road
Vehicle riding; Golfing, etc.  I don't think it would be a good use of funds to place an advertisement in Cosmopolitan or Seventeen
or Martha Stewart Living.  I just don't see the AT community base coming from that sector of the population.  A FEW of us may
subscribe to those magazines, but the majority of people who read them are not interested.  I don't know if the ATC could draw
hikers from people who play OnLine games, but I doubt that is an audience.

>>>Advertise in Outside Magazine, Men's Journal, Backpacker Magazine, Golf Digest, etc.  Go where the people who don't mind getting
a little sweaty are.

Ah, my little Coos-Coos, but I have to heartily disagree with you on this.  Wouldn't one be preaching to the choir (so to speak) by
simply advertising in those areas alone?  How can one ever have growth unless they reach out to areas in which to find potential?
How does one get another interested in something?  You have to show them that others like them are doing it.

I do think that there are many my age (mid 30's) that are directed by certain priorities in life.  However, I do think that with an
effective PR campaign that the younger crowd can be reached.

It's all about the spin you put on it.  If ATC wanted to run an advertisement in Family Circle, then it would behoove them to
utilize a family that hikes and show the many advantages of doing such a sport as a family as well as the cost savings over many
other children's activities.  (And, believe me with 3 girls in everything from softball to dance to Girl Scouts to you name
it---hiking is a helluva sight cheaper than any of those activities!!!).

All the ATC would need to do is take a look at the core audience of any certain periodical's venue and then shape the message to
entice that group.  I just think it's pointless to piss monies away by advertising to folks that are already into it.  If the point
is to bring more in, then we have to seek them out.

Just my $1 worth (inflation and all that ya know).

Tenacious Tanasi
   (Shelly Hale)