[at-l] RE: The ATC

> I'm sorry it's your pet peeve, but I still want to see people with
> different backgrounds from me out there.  Or hear them.  Not a racial
> statement, just an acknowledgement that a pretty small cross-section of
> the various ethnic/cultural/class groups in the US are found on our
> trails.
>
> I live in an area with a lot of diversity.   I miss it when I hike.
>
> -Joy

Great!   What is your plan to encourage more minority participation in
the outdoors?  What are your target demographics and what techniques
are you going to employ to reach your desired metrics?

A presentation at a school might generate some interest in the young
folk though it would be a tough sale to convince them that spending
extended periods of time (i.e. longer then 10 minutes) cold and wet
with no playstation all while exercising is a good thing.  As for
young and older adults, I have no idea how to generate interest within
that group.  I'll do some more hiking myself to see if I can come up
with any ideas.

I'll be on the trails in '07 and some section hiking this year
(possibly) and next.  So you can put me in the Puerto Rican/Hispanic
category (though you wouldn't be able to tell, as I take after my
grandfather with my fair(er) skin and green eyes.. and the hair
turning gray isn't helping any).

Greg