[at-l] A Few Comments about the ATC---

Solar Bear said: "Okay, now I understand the comments and concerns about land grabbing are based on past eminent domain proceedings."

Actually, that's not my problem with them.  I didn't actually realize that Eminent Domain (How DO you spell it, anyway?  Spell Check doesn't care.) had been used on the AT's behalf.  I'm against it, in principle, particularly when it's used to build a new factory, as was done in SW Indiana when we lived there.

What I object to is buying whole mountains that the trail doesn't even go over.  I was reading this morning how many thousands of acres the Burt's Bees lady has bought that are AT buffers in Maine.  That's lovely.  I just would hate for the AT to spend that kind of money outside the corridor.  If we want to make a 2000' corridor, OK, we can start buying, but all these farms and extra mountains make me nervous.  Are we allowed to go onto those properties and camp?  Do we actually know when we're passing extra properties that belong to us, the AT membership?  When I'm hiking, I know that I'm on protected land, but I have no idea how far out I can go without tresspassing on someone else's property.  Then, too, there are lots of areas where we're not supposed to leave the trail, even though we do own that land.

Of course, I'm of the old school that likes the shelters right along the trail, too.  I like to see who's coming and to know that, if things aren't going well, someone will pass along eventually.  If you're a quarter mile off the trail, you're far more vulnerable.  Also, you don't just pop in for lunch and to sign and read the register, the way you can with shelters up close to the trail.

anklebear