[at-l] Hennesy hammock, G4/ Mariposa pack on a thru questions

At 07:31 PM 5/29/2005 -0400, amy wrote:

>On May 29, 2005, at 5:44 PM, Kajsa van Overbeek wrote:
>...clip...
>>They now offer the possibility of ordering a bigger
>>hex fly instead weighing in at either 1.9 lbs costing
>>$59 made of polyester (seems like an awful lot of
>>weight to me..) or at 12 5/8 oz made of nylon at a
>>hundred some bucks (seems like an awful lot of money
>>to me).
>>Is this worth it? It seems to me that having a dry
>>place to cook in the rain is also worth something..
>
>On my last trip, I took a larger fly with me and liked it very much.
>It wasn't a hex fly, just a larger asym fly.   I'm considering switching
>to the hex fly for more coverage.  During windy nights I think the extra
>attachment points would be very helpful.  Spend the extra 40 bucks and get
>the lighter one.  (At least I would..)

Campmor sells an 8'X10' silnylon tarp for $64.99. It weighs 13 oz. What
about substituting that for the fly that came with your hammock?

>One thing you didn't mention that you should be thinking about, is how to
>stay warm in the hammock.  It's a serious issue.  I've found just a pad to
>be insufficient.

On a long hike where you are apt to be out in late spring early fall with
temps down into the teens staying warm in a hammock becomes a very serious
issue. I recommend that you look at the information on Ed Speers' website
regarding staying warm in a hammock
<http://www.speerhammocks.com/Tips/Tips%20on%20hammock%20camping.htm#Staying>.
He has obviously done a lot of research on this issue for his own products
but freely shares the information so that you can adapt his methods to
other hammocks if you wish. If you can go to a Gathering, attend his
workshops. I plan to adapt some of his ideas to my Clark hammock this year.