The ATC -- [Was: Re: [at-l] Re: A Walk in the Woods]

I am always happy to accept money from members who do nothing other than
donate. They are very low maintenance. Send them a letter, they donate. Most
of them are barely even trail users. On the otherhand I also support
"payback time" in either dollars or hours. When we last analysed our donors
vs volunteers they was a strong tendency to either donate money or volunteer
hours and rarely both. Both are needed and I really don't care if they come
from disjoint sets of people. We actually turn volunteer hours into money by
using the hours as in kind services for matching grants. None of the above
effectively addresses the issue that a number of volunteers are absolutely
needed to do the on the ground work. For some clubs this is a problem and
for others it is not. But it is not an ATC issue unless they have to fire a
club for lack of work. ATC's role in many ways is supporting the clubs,
either with training, sometimes money, or fighting the battles of the bigger
picture which many clubs just do not get. The ATC crews are another form of
club support for getting big projects done. Their ability to attract
volunteers from outside the clubs region is crutial.