[at-l] Re: Alert: Adirondacks and Bear Canisters

At 07:43 PM 5/25/2005 -0400, Marsha wrote:
>I've seen the piles of scat in the ADKs. They're huge!  Those bears eat
>good. And plentiful.  I will definitely abide by the new regulations.
>(Once I saw a pile that was so large I thought it was vegetation-mushrooms
>or something).
>Looking forward to my yearly ADK vacation.
>Thanks Jim !
>Marsha

You are welcome. This applies only to the Eastern High Peaks though. The
map in the latest ADK Guide to the High Peaks shows the dividing line which
follows the crest of the Nye, Street and MacNaughton range. The Santanoni
and Seward Ranges are West of the line but the rest of the High Peaks
(those over 4K) except Whiteface and Esther, which are North of Lake
Placid, are all in the bear canister zone.

Outside the Eastern High Peaks the rule does not apply. The problem is
pretty much one of human making. The bears have become accustomed to
careless humans bringing food into the area and have learned the tricks we
use to keep it from them as the humans gradually smartened up, but
initially there were even stupid campers leaving food in their tents or
feeding the 'cute little cubs'. Then they got big and became a problem. DUH!