[at-l] re: RE"Policing the Trail

ox97 wrote (btw, the fruit, cookies and colas at TDz were appreciated by lots of people, even when you weren't there - all of us thank you!)
Personally, I like taking authentic old fashioned tools into the woods.   I have even gotten some hikers to join in on projects.  Folks that have hiked long distances on the trail are generally very willing to help with a little maintenance, if the opportunity arises.  And, long distance hikers like one of a kind photos to show folks back home.   A photo of them at one end of a 60 yr old 2-man buck saw is a once in a lifetime photo op for a lot of people, and makes for some GREAT stories when the hike is finished.
I definitively agree here but for a tangent-dental reason.  (In other words, I'm off in left-space again, or maybe right-space since I am a little dyslexic.)

Remember the "good old days" your grandpa or great grandpa talked about (if you were fortunate enough to have been alive before they died)?  Remember The Waltons?  Remember Little House on the Prairie?  Remember at some point in your life wondering what it was like "back then" before cars and refrigerators and washing machines?  Don't lie, we all have had a fleeting thought, and you know it.  Haven't you stopped and wondered what we did before electric cash registers that tell the mathematically-challenged cashier how much change to give back?  Do you recall those days at all?  Does the term "45 rpm" mean anything to you?  Do you know what a Victrola is/was?  How about lighting a home with kerosene lamps or even DIRECT CURRENT lights in a house?  (Now THAT is something and fortunately wasn't used for very long when the Alternating Current was proven to be safer.)  Did you know that candles were placed on Christmas Trees at one time in recent history?

So you're following my warped train of thought?  In the "olden" days, how were trees felled?  How were roads built?  How were trails maintained?  Not by chain saw or gas-weed-whacker.  Nope, those good old buck saws and 2-man cross-cut saws and muscle.  We CLAIM to think that the "olden" days were "golden" days and we pine for them from time to time.   So, we can enjoy the experience of the olden days by setting aside the noisy gas powered 'conveniences' and return to the more "natural" ways of trail maintenance.  Personally, I like an 8 lb double headed axe.  That brings back memories of good ol' Daniel Boone leading my g-g-g-g-g-grandpa Samuel Boone into KenTuckEe.

Coosa
Carol Donaldson
http://auntiecoosa.blogspot.com
("Stupidity is also a gift of God, but one mustn't misuse it" ~ Pope John Paul II The Great)