[at-l] I've got a week free....now which section to do???

Roan Mountain...>> It's really beautiful, but it's a really tough
section for just starting
>> out on a section hike.

I digress, er disagree.
You're thinking like the fit hiker you are. It's tough only if you do
it like a thruhiker.

Why not start at Carver's gap in the afternoon, and walk up the
backside of Roan as a SOBO. Should take an hour and a half tops to
summit with a little one - 2 miles. Take only dinner and breakfast and
snacks.

Plan to camp AROUND (not in) the ranger cabin up there, back in some
of the magical balsams, rock or moss ecosystems. You've just bagged an
NC 6Ker.

The next morning, walk back down through the rhodies and flame
azaleas, to your car and the bathrooms. Resupply, readjust your pack
contents, do other business (breaking in a newbie easy).
Then, set off for the Humps with a day or two of food. Lots of flamers
up there early to mid-June.

You could camp atop Grassy Ridge, an NC 6K-er.  Very low miles. Look
for the secret campsite, via a rhododendron tunnel, off to the left.
Plan a night with a good moon.

Or, wander slowly to Overmountain shelter. Spend a night there. Watch
for the wild turkeys in abundance, and deer wandering below you, and
clouds breaking over the rim. Then, wander back to the car going SOBO
again.

Drive to Kincorra. Stay there, and dayhike the stunning Laurel Fork
Gorge, swim, or camp there. Or plan to camp atop Pond Mountain near
the spring, then come down the gorge. Bob People can help you plan.
With a younger child, low miles, frequent car resupply and large
"oooh" factor can only increase their sense of enjoyment. One doesn't
have to hike the AT in a linear, thru-hike manner to extract maximum
value from the very best sections.

Of course, if it's cold and rainy, I'd head directly to Kincorra,
unpack, and dayhike via Bob's shuttle, if he's still shuttling this
late in the season. He's an excellent guide to the area, and would
probably give you a job to do while hiking, being an inveterate
maintainer.
Call him. In your handbook.
I've about convinced myself to go up there the first weekend in June.
Anyone else feel like playing easy and looking at the wild flowers and
shrubs at 6K?

--
     	AT Journal:
	http://www.trailjournals.com/Liteshoe/