[at-l] RE"Policing the Trail

I was a maintainer for 25 years and a volunteer overseer of 23 maintainers for seven years. I'm still a volunteer but not as a maintainer. I still think motors should be kept out of Congressionally designated wilderness areas except in very rare instances.

The Maine trail is probably the most remote of the 2,175 miles of AT and Maine has the smallest population base on which to draw for volunteers. But we manage to keep the trail maintained to a pretty good standard.

My major effort these days is to keep the trail remote and wild, now that all the land adjacent to the narrow corridor has been purchased by developers.

Our Maine Appalachian Trail Land Trust has made it's first purchases, snatching from the jaws of the land speculators, Abraham, a mountain just off the Saddleback-Poplar Ridge range, and the southeastern slopes of Saddleback itself.

We still have a $200,000 mortgage on our $661,000 purchase. It comes due Oct. 1. You can help.

Just open:   http://www.matlt.org

There you will find the details.

Weary